|Job Family:||Commercial||Start Date:||Sept 2022|
|Division/Dept:||Contracting/Majors||Project Location:||Chippenham, Wilts|
|Reporting to:||Commercial Director||Direct Reports:||5-10 people|
|Hours of work:||0800 – 1730||Salary:||£70-80k|
Overview of Role
M J Church has been trading for over 30 years throughout the South West as a leading regional earthworks and civil engineering contractor with an enviable proven track record.
Due to reorganisation within the business, it is looking for a commercial manager to join its successful commercial team.
Reporting to the Commercial Director and working closely with the Departmental Business Manager the successful candidate will be responsible for the delivery of all the commercial functions for their department comprising approximately £15 million of the contracting divisions turnover overseeing projects involving, such things as, earthworks, Regional Delivery Partnerships (RDP) Frameworks and major civil engineering contracts (>£500k).
Key tasks & Responsibilities
- Management of a commercial team comprising of up to 10 people including regular appraisals;
- Reviewing tenders, attending tender review meetings and agreement of commercial terms;
- Review conditions of contract and subcontract: negotiation to resolve contentious conditions;
- Preparation of conditions of contract;
- Involvement, liaison and meeting with employers’ teams as necessary;
- Overseeing, summarising and presentation of internal and external valuations / reports including budgets and forecasts: ensuring they are prepared timeously and are accurate;
- Implement commercial procedures/ reporting to ensure compliance with company and contract requirements;
- Ensure appropriate commercial and project records are maintained;
- Provide guidance, mentoring, coaching and support to the commercial team;
- Develop the skills and competencies of staff to ensure necessary succession planning;
- Provide commercial and contractual advice to the senior management team;
- Assist the Commercial Director in other areas of the division to ensure a consistent approach;
- Identify strategies and solutions to resolve contractual issues on projects, eg., claims, CEs, variations, etc. and complete tasks to ensure its successful resolution;
- Negotiating with employers / sub-contractors to resolve and close contractual issues;
- Obtain a profitable return for the department, division and company whilst maintaining good working relationships and future opportunities;
- Interviewing and recruiting new staff including university ‘milk’ rounds where necessary;
- Attendance and presentations at company / employers’ open days, forums, events, functions, etc.
- Close working relationship with the Departmental Business Manager to deliver sustainable returns for the department, division and company;
- Responsibilities commensurate with this role which are contained in the current company Health & Safety Policy.
- Experience using NEC Options A, B and C preferred;
- Professionally qualified and accredited QS / commercial manager;
- At least 20 years’ experience in civil engineering and/or highways and/or earthworks in the UK;
- Experience of managing a small to medium sized team;
- Degree or HNC in construction/civil engineering/quantity surveying or equivalent;
- Has managed multiple jobs totalling £15 million/annum;
- Subcontracting or main contracting back ground preferred.