Following the terrible storms earlier this month MJ Church are working in Dawlish. The work is initially to protect what is left of the sea wall and the properties behind it. The teams are working 24/7 with alternative gangs of men and machines to create a quick fix breakwater defence to allow the permanent works to follow on. Ultimately to facilitate the replacement of the wall and the track.
Photographs courtesy of Network Rail (www.networkrail.co.uk/timetables-and-travel/storm-damage/dawlish)
We currently have the following vacancy:
Estimator – Civils
Competitive Salary / Package / Company Car
Full Time, Permanent
MJ Church, a growing and expanding business are seeking an experienced Estimator in Civils/Bulk Earthworks/Infrastructure/Groundworks to join our Contracting Division.
Based in our Chippenham office you will have experience of working on a variety of tenders ranging in value from £50k to £5 million, able to work under your own initiative, with a thorough knowledge of the type of work undertaken.
As an Estimator, you will join our busy Contracting office and prepare, review and present project specific estimates.
- Review the scope of works from detailed plans, specs and bills and abstract Subcontract packages.
- Produce accurate and comprehensive estimates in a timely and efficient manner.
- Obtain most competitive quotations for materials and subcontractors from our supply chain (and expand our supply chain).
- Attend initial meetings with the client, take ownership of tender and lead internal handover meetings/reviews.
- Apply and use of recognised, appropriate method of measurement rules in the preparation of all estimates and quantification.
- Support the procurement team with tender and/or contract price analysis.
- Thorough understanding of project management, planning, risk and programming processes.
- Membership of a relevant professional body with chartered status and/or educated to degree level.
- Experience in the rail and/or civil engineering industries.
- Minimum 5 years estimating experience.
- Experienced in Causeway Estimating Software
To apply for this role please send your C.V. and covering letter to Richard Allen at email@example.com
We are delighted to welcome Michele Hall-Barnett as of 2nd January 2014 as the new Receptionist/ Administrator at M J Church’s Contracting office. We wish Michele every success in her new position within the company.
On Tuesday 10th December 2013 the Contracting Division hosted a lunch with the Deputy Governor of the Bank of England Sir Jon Cunliffe.
The purpose of the visit was to for Sir Jon to provide an overview on the current outlook of the economy and to understand how businesses are coping in the current economic conditions. 15 delegates from varying sectors attended the lunch along with Mike Church, Tom Church and Steve Blower.
The meeting was a great success and Sir Jon was very happy when he left the office.
On the 9th October the 2013 British Construction Industry Awards took place at the Grosvenor Hotel in London and were attended by Steve Blower (MD) and Rob Bashford (Estimator).
We were very pleased to receive the Health & Safety Award, based on the M4-M5 Managed Motorway Scheme. Rob Bashford was the MJ Church Site Agent for this scheme and he was heavily involved in the development of the Plant People Interface (PPI) training, alongside Dave Emery, John Gill and Lorraine Brown, all of Balfour Beatty. Rob came up with the initial concept, which was then developed by the team.
A clip of the PPI training can be viewed on YouTube by clicking here and the full DVD is available at the MJ Church Contracting Office in Chippenham. This is also being shown as a training aid across all Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering and Major Works schemes.